Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Rep. George Santos pleads not guilty to latest federal charges -Capitatum
Algosensey|Rep. George Santos pleads not guilty to latest federal charges
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 14:01:18
Washington — Rep. George Santos, a Republican of New York, pleaded not guilty Friday to the latest slew of additional federal charges accusing him in a superseding indictment of stealing his campaign donors' identities and racking up thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on their credit cards.
Santos arrived at U.S. District Court in Central Islip, New York, and did not speak to reporters, according to CBS News New York.
His trial date has been set for Sept. 9, according to the U.S. attorney's office, which is 57 days before the November general election, but after the Republican primary. Santos has already drawn a number of challengers who are seeking to unseat him, including former Democratic Rep. Tom Suozzi, who gave up the seat to mount an unsuccessful run for governor in 2022.
Santos entered a not-guilty plea to the superseding indictment, and he waived the conflicts raised by the government involving his lawyer Joe Murray's past dealings with his ex-campaign manager Nancy Marks and another individual who was not identified. His next status conference is Dec. 12.
Federal prosecutors were also expected to seek to modify or expand Santos' pretrial release conditions. In a filing with the court, prosecutors said that the government provided Santos with the identities of additional people he would be banned from contacting. However, because some of them are members of Santos' family, his defense counsel requested that he be allowed to contact some of them.
According to prosecutors, Santos' counsel agreed that he "will continue to be prohibited from communicating with these individuals about this case, the pending charges against him, the facts underlying the pending charges and any future court proceedings, trial or testimony in this matter."
The latest allegations were detailed in a superseding indictment that was unsealed earlier this month, after his former campaign treasurer pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the United States, admitting that Santos' campaign finance reports were embellished with fake loans and donors.
The newest indictment alleges Santos "repeatedly without authorization" used the credit cards of campaign donors to benefit his campaign and himself personally.
The indictment describes how Santos allegedly used one donor's credit card repeatedly without the donor's knowledge, charging $15,800 to his campaign and related political committees. In the following months, prosecutors alleged Santos tried to make $44,800 in unauthorized charges using the same donor's information. Some of the money was transferred to Santos' personal bank account, according to the indictment.
Prosecutors also alleged that Santos and his former campaign treasurer Nancy Marks agreed to falsify his campaign finance reports in order to hit fundraising benchmarks and bolster his campaign. The duo also allegedly lied about a $500,000 loan they said Santos made to his campaign.
"Why would I want to hurt the same people who went out of their way to get me here?" Santos told reporters in denying the recent charges.
The original indictment against Santos accused him of wire fraud, money laundering, theft of public funds and making materially false statements to the House of Representatives. Altogether, Santos is charged with 23 criminal counts.
Santos pleaded not guilty in May to the charges in the original indictment. He has vehemently denied any wrongdoing and has dismissed calls for him to resign from Congress.
"I'm entitled to due process and not a predetermined outcome as some are seeking," he said on social media on Thursday.
As the charges have piled up against Santos, some of his Republican colleagues in New York are seeking to oust him from Congress after a Democratic attempt to do so failed earlier this year.
On Thursday, Rep. Anthony D'Esposito introduced a resolution to expel Santos that the House has two legislative days to consider.
The effort follows one made by House Democrats earlier this year, which was blocked by Republicans. Then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy argued that the legal process should be allowed to play out, and the matter was referred to the House Ethics Committee to conduct an investigation.
Scott MacFarlane and Robert Legare contributed to this report.
- In:
- Politics
- George Santos
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (7413)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- Truck driver accused of killing pregnant Amish woman due for hearing in Pennsylvania
- Who is Mamiko Tanaka? Everything you need to know about Shohei Ohtani's wife
- Lost Your Keys Again? Get 35% off Tile Bluetooth Trackers
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Bhad Bhabie Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Boyfriend Le Vaughn
- Men's pro teams have been getting subsidies for years. Time for women to get them, too.
- Republicans push back on new federal court policy aimed at ‘judge shopping’ in national cases
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Denying same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, a Japanese high court says
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Nick Cannon Has a Room Solely for Unique Pillows. See More of His Quirky Home Must-Haves.
- Kensington Palace Is No Longer a “Trusted Source” After Kate Middleton Edited Photo, AFP Says
- Ex-Tennessee Titans scout Blaise Taylor charged after deaths of girlfriend, unborn child
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Pierce Brosnan pleads guilty to Yellowstone National Park violation, ordered to pay $1,500
- Outdoor Voices closing its stores. Activewear retailer reportedly plans online move
- Apple to pay $490 million to settle allegations that it misled investors about iPhone sales in China
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Kentucky GOP moves to criminalize interference with legislature after transgender protests
New Mexico state police officer shot, killed near Tucumcari
50 killed in anti-sorcery rituals after being forced to drink mysterious liquid, Angola officials say
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Hans Zimmer will tour US for first time in 7 years, hit 17 cities
From 'Poor Things' to 'Damsel,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
The Hugl Body Pillow Is Like Sleeping on Clouds – and It's on Sale